Only fresh okra can be used for this recipe. Fresh pods should be tender but not soft with no bruising. If okra is not used immediately it can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge, in a paper bag or wrapped in a paper towel, but not in plastic.
Here’s how you can give yourself and three others a treat with this recipe.
- 200g okra, washed, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place sliced okra in pan; cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add garlic and onion and stir fry. Set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, tomatoes and water to okra.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Add salt and pepper and serve.